“Mystery and Meaning” for “The Scarlet Ibis”
1. What is a symbol?Symbol is using an object or action that means something more than its literal meaning.
2. Jot down five (5) letters of the alphabet and record their symbolic significance:
Raven:Like the crow, the raven is a generally negative symbol, although appearing occasionally in the Bible as a wise messenger.
Heaven:Along with EARTH, heaven completes the spirit half of the spirit/matter duality. It is almost universally regarded as the home of the gods or God, and it is a superior realm. Considered masculine, active and spiritual. In context with the manifestation of god, the blue sky is the veil hiding his face, teh clouds are his garments, light is his ointment and the stars are his eyes. Associated with the number three.
Moon:The moon is a feminine symbol, universally representing the rhythm of time as it embodies the cycle. The phases of the moon symbolize immortality and eternity, enlightenment or the dar k side of Nature herself. It might reflect inner knowledge, or the phases of man's condition on earth, since it controls the tides, the rains, the waters, and the seasons. It is the middle ground between the light of the sun and the darkness of night, and thus often represents the realm between the conscious and the unconscious. In astrology, the moon is a symbol of the soul, and in the horoscope it determines the subject's capacity for reflection and adaptation. It also provides analogy for the stages of human development: the new moon is infancy, the crescent is youth and adolescence, the full moon is maturity and pregnancy, and the waning moon represents the decline of life, sleep.
Fire:Fire consumes, warms, and illuminates, but can also bring pain and death; thus, its symbolic meaning varies wildly, depending upon the context of its use. It is often the symbol of inspiration, and yet it is also the predominant symbol of HELL; fire is the only one of the "FOUR ELEMENTS" that humans can produce themselves, so it bridges the connection between mortals and gods.
Dawn:Dawn suggests the notions of illumination and hope, the beginning of a new day and thus a chance for happiness and improvement. Sunrise is a symbol of birth and rebirth, of awakening. The coming of light, resurrection. In Beauty and the Beast, the dawn (spring) maid is married to a DARKNESS (winter/frost) monster. Act of transformation, renewed passion.
Gate:The gate is an entryway into an unknown place, or a place of great significance
4. What is a scarlet ibis? Provide a 2-3 sentence description of this bird. The scarlet ibis is a bird that inhabits tropical South America. These birds nest in trees laying two to four eggs. They are completely scarlet except for the tips of the wings. Their life span is 15 years.
5. Describe the environment in which the scarlet ibis lives. The scarlet ibis lives in a tropical environment
6. How is the environment important to the bird’s survival? The environment is important to it’s survival because if it was different then the scarlet ibis Could not be able to survive
7. Name some common symbols. The scarlet ibis symbolizes the death of Doodle. The author was foreshadowing in a metaphoric way. The color of the scarlet ibis symbolizes (and foreshadows) the impending death of Doodle. The color red is a common symbol for death because it is reminiscent of blood and bleeding.
"First Lesson" by Philip Booth Lie back daughter; let your head be tipped back in the cup of my hand. Gently, and I will hold you. Spread your arms wide, lie out on the stream and look high at the gulls. A dead- man's float is face down. You will dive and swim soon enough where this tidewater ebbs to the sea. Daughter, believe me, when you tire on the long thrash to your island, lie up, and survive. As you float now, where I held you and let go, remember when fear cramps your heart what I told you: lie gently and wide to the light-year stars, lie back, and the sea will hold you.
Answer the following questions:
1. The father is giving his daughter advice about floating. This first swim lesson dealing with floating also has a symbolic meaning. Not only is the father giving his daughter advice about floating, but he is also giving his daughter advice about obstacles we face throughout life and how he will be there for her.
2. Provide a brief explanation for your choice Within the poem the father tells his daughter that if you’re faced with any hardships that he will be they’re gently holding her for support. The sea in which the father mentions in the poem represents him.
The scarlet ibis is known to inhabit South America where the environment is temperature is fairly warm. Theses birds live from 15 years in capacity and 20 years in the wild. They are completely scarlet except for the tips of their wings and lay two to four eggs. Flying in flocks the scarlet would not be able to survive without being in its natural habitat, therefore it would die. James Hurst who has written “The Scarlet Ibis” uses symbolism, using an object or action that means more than it’s literal meaning. The scarlet. Ibis symbolizes the impending death of the speaker’s younger brother doodle.
The color red is a common symbol for death because it is reminiscent of blood and bleeding. Being told from birth that he would die because his body was so weak and not capable of sustaining life, Doodle has come a long way in life. Similar to Doodle the scarlet ibis has traveled long and far to land in their family’s yard. After landing on the bleeding tree the bird collapses to the ground and suddenly dies. Trying to teach Doodle to be like the other boys at school he never left Horsehead landing. Away from familiar surroundings both the scarlet ibis and Doodle die after they have been pushed to their limits.
As it begun to rain fear crept inside with the sight of a storm brewing near them and they began running. Having prior knowledge of his brother’s fragile body and weak health he abandoned him still. Unconscious cruelty kindled and deserted his brother within the screaming voice of thunder and pounding knuckles of the rain. “The streak of cruelty within me awakened. I ran as fast as I could, leaving him behind with a wall of rain dividing us”. symbols are all around us,they might be a flag or even a flower.Animals for example like the sacrlet ibis symbolizes the death of Doodle within the story.The author also foreshadows this death in a metaphoric way.symbols can represent many different things and also have special meanings. .